25 kms North: Dutch Fort, Sadras. An inscription dated 1359 AD mentions this place as Rajanarayanan Pattinam, after a Sambuvaraya chieftain. Also known as Sadurangapattinam, because of the ancient temple in honour of Lord Vishnu. The Dutch shortned it to Sadras. Famous for exporting superfine muslin cloth, pearl and edible oil. The 300-year old magnificent Sadras Fort is a vast compound, enclosing a huge granary, stable and structures used to mount elephants; unfortunately only one of these structures survives.
60 kms North: 45 kms North: The 8th century Tiger Cave. A rock-cut Hindu temple complex. Gets its name from the carvings of tiger heads on the mouth of a cave in the complex. Constructed by the Pallavas.
60 kms North: Nithyakalayana Perumal Temple, Thiruvidandai. Built by the Pallavas in the 7th century. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Later additions by the Cholas during the 11th century.
40 kms North: Mesmerizing Mahabalipuram. The Shore Temple. PanchaRathas. Descent of the Ganges. Monuments to the glory of Dravidian Art and Architecture.